Downtown Smithville

"The city of Smithville was founded in 1838 as the county seat of DeKalb county. It was named in honor of Samuel Granville Smith, a former state senator and the first mayor of Gainsboro. He died in 1835 while serving as Tennessee’s secretarty of state.

Bernard Richardson donated 50 acres where Smithville currently is. The land was then divided by streets and alleys to form 92 lots with a public square in the middle. The lots were soon auctioned off, and the construction of a courthouse began. Smithville became incorporated in 1843, lost its status in 1877, and then became reincorporated in 1919. Three years later in 1922 Smithville would get electricity."

From ~ A Bicentennial History of DeKalb County, TN
by Thomas Gray Webb

46 of 135 images are shared in this gallery "The Town"

If you are interested in obtaining any of these images, for personal use or commercial use, or wish to include a link to your web site - please contact me at bill@luton.us.

Click & Enjoy!

Smithville Tennessee

The Town


DeKalb County Court House Smithville City Hall & Fire Department Maple in fall color at the old City Cemetery Looking across the old City Cemetery
The old City Cemetery Looking west down Main Street Heading south on Congress Boulevard/Highway 56 Heading down Main Street through the new park
West on Main Street Sundance Restuarant and Apartments Beautiful tree lined streets City clock - Smithville, Tennessee Established 1838
Intersection of Walnut and Public Square Looking down Walnut North 4th Street and East Walnut Architectural elements have been preserved
A closer look at the preserved detail Looking down West Walnut Locally owned eatery on West Walnut West Walnut north side
First United Methodist Church 4th Street Looking south down 4th Street West Main Street Corner of West Main and 4th Street
Tennessee's oldest family-owned drug store, 1881 Small town, great shopping West Main Street beauty Looking down West Main Street
Alley between West Main Street and West Walnut Alley between West Main Street and West Market Street From Carharts to Tuxedos Looking east on West Main Street
Heading down historic West Main Street Looking east on West Market Street The old Fuston's store signage Locally owned variety store on West Market Street
Landscaped Alleys Masonic Lodge and Gentalman's Barber A contrast in colors, West Market Street looking north Town Square looking northeast

Looking north on 4th Smithville takes pride in keeping their downtown clean Looking East from Market Street One of the many markers memorializing wars fought past
Fall colors on the square Looking east on Walnut